Back in January, I wrote about the happiest moments of my life, a post inspired by the 52 Lists Project, a concept I love. Even if I’m not writing down the answers, taking some time to reflect on the prompts is GOOD for me. For my head, because I’m thinking good positive life-improving thoughts. For my heart, because I’m reminded of all the wonderful people and things in my life. And for my life, because how is some added self-awareness not a good thing?
So when I found the prompt to “list the things in life that you should ignore”, I kind of felt like it was aimed right at me. You see, I’ve been doing a lot of work behind the scenes here at Countdowns and Cupcakes, preparing myself and the blog for some fairly large changes. That kind of planning (and let’s be real here-hardcore soul searching) has opened up the door to a lot of things that I should probably ignore, but don’t always.
- I should ignore drama, especially when it doesn’t actually involve me. This one is less about what I’m working on in my creative world and more about regular ol’ workplace or friend drama. As much as I love being the person my friends come to with their problems, sometimes I internalize them just a little too much and they end up weighing me down.
- I should ignore comparisons to other creatives, other bloggers, other women. How often have you looked at someone’s Instagram and had hardcore lifestyle envy? Or seen other bloggers’ reports about making six figures and feeling like your 1,500 pageviews is stupid? *raises hand* Ok so if I know that about myself, why do I let it happen? Why don’t I mentally check myself before I wreck myself?
- I should ignore my to do list, at least occasionally. As much I get into the groove and churn out tons of great stuff, there are just as many instances of me spending hours staring at my computer, hitting my head against the proverbial wall. So sometimes I really need to ignore the to do list, forget about the adulting and just do something fun to reenergize myself.
- I should ignore fear of stepping outside of my comfort zone. A lot of what I want to accomplish in life will take me outside of my comfort zone. Want to see the Eiffel Tower? Get ready to travel to a place where you don’t speak the language. Want to be taken seriously as a blogger? Get ready to self-promote the beejeesus out of your work. I know that in order to see/do/be everything I want, I will have to ignore the fear of being out of my comfort zone.
- I should ignore the mean me. I’ve read lots of articles about how mean women are to each other, but I don’t think anyone has ever been as mean to me as I am to myself. And how horrible is that?! The little voice in my head that tells me I can’t or that I’m not good enough doesn’t deserve the time or attention I give it. Ain’t nobody got time for that.
If I don’t work at ignoring these things now, I know they are going to hold me back from accomplishing all of my plans, big and small, personal and professional. My hope is that making myself aware of them (and then sharing them with you all) will keep me accountable to ignoring them when necessary.
What’s something you should ignore, but can never seem to and how do you work to ignore it?