Sweet potatoes are like running. I know that seems like an odd comparison, but hang with me for a second. If you had told me five years ago that I would run consistently and even enjoy it, I would have told you that you were crazy.
Same with sweet potatoes: I was not a fan, especially of the super sweet kind you normally find at Thanksgiving. But then I found the beauty of roasting them in the oven and boom! I loved them!
These are the tastiest, easiest sweet potatoes you could possibly find. Crispy and peppery, there is none of the sticky sweetness I remember from holidays past. This recipe makes for a perfect side dish for two people, or a great lunch for one (especially when you add some cheese).
- 1 sweet potato
- Cooking spray
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Cover a cookie sheet with tin foil.
- Wash and dry the sweet potato. Cut into evenly sized pieces.
- Arrange the pieces into a single layer on the cookie sheet. Spray pieces lightly with cooking spray.
- Season liberally with kosher salt and pepper. Toss to coat.
- Bake on the bottom rack of the oven for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and flip pieces over.
- Bake for another 25 minutes on the middle rack of the oven.