Full confession: this was supposed to a cupcake recipe post. I had every intention of sharing pictures of fluffy chocolate cake with gorgeous raspberry icing, but then this pasta happened. It was hot and spicy and super parmesan cheesy and before I knew it, it was gone.
A said that it was his favorite thing I’d ever made.
How is a cupcake supposed to compete with that?
Spoiler: it doesn’t even try.
This pasta has that perfect mix of sweet marinara sauce and creamy alfredo sauce. Then when you think that you’ve got it all figured out, the red pepper hits you.
Pow! Bam! Ka-powee!
It’s a karate chop to your taste buds. But a nice karate chop…full of flavor…it’s like a flavor hand shake to your taste buds…ok I’ll stop.
I love sneaky pasta. I also love sneaky pasta that is super quick to make. Eight ingredients and about 20 minutes and you’re done. That’s my kind of dinner recipe.
Plus, you totally have to cover the top of said pasta in cheese to counteract some of the spiciness so it’s really an excuse to eat a lot of parmesan cheese and how is that not good?
Spoiler again: it’s not. It’s all kinds of good.
- 1 T minced garlic
- 1/2 t black pepper
- 1 T red pepper flakes (or less if you aren’t sure about taste bud karate chops)
- 1/4 t salt
- 3-4 T olive oil
- 1 jar alfredo sauce
- 1 jar marinara sauce
- 1 box of rigatoni (you can use whatever pasta you’d like, but the ridges of rigatoni hold onto the delicious sauce really well)
- parmesan cheese (optional)
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- Heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Saute garlic, red pepper flakes and black pepper for 2-3 minutes.
- Add sauces and salt and simmer for about 10 minutes (or until pasta is done).
- Drain pasta and add to the sauce, stirring to coat.
- Serve with a generous helping of parmesan cheese and ice water.